Sunday, February 10, 2013

Violette's and My Birth Story

Since I am a first time mom, it was a little bit tricky to decipher if and when I was in labor.  I had a hard time timing my contractions and finding regularity until there was no guessing anymore. :)  I had had braxton hicks contractions throughout most of my third trimester, yet they were an extreme tightening of my upper belly and nothing like a period cramp.

I started feeling really nauseous on Thursday and after googling all the signs of labor I was convinced that the end was near.  On Friday I went into the doctor's office because I was having weird cramping in my back and left the office feeling a little bummed as the doctor checked my cervix and said I was only dilated to 1 cm and that my cervix was still really high so there wasn't much of a chance of the baby coming that weekend.

Sunday morning I went to my prenatal water aerobics class because I was having lots of back pain and getting in the water was the only thing that relieved the pressure and when I got home I started experiencing a very mild period like cramp.  I didn't think much of it and continued my daily activities.  The cramping didn't really increase in intensity until like 3 am.  Around 3 am I woke up to the thought that I peed my pants but I wasn't sure if it was pee or if it was amniotic fluid (sorry TMI but I want to save this story for myself for later) and I texted my doula to see if she could help me decipher if I was in labor.  I went back to sleep and woke up around 6:30 am with a slightly more intense cramping sensation.  Looking back I think I was just hanging out in early labor for awhile but I was in denial.  By 7 am Paul had to take our friends to the airport (they were out visiting and helping Paul finish the basement) and as Paul was leaving I told him I may be in labor, but I am not sure so please hurry up.  Well by 7:30 am I could only deal with the contractions on my hands and knees and I was crawling around my house trying to pack my hospital bag, by 7:45 am I called Paul in tears asking when he would be home and pleading that I needed to go to the hospital, by 8 am I called him and was swearing like a sailor pretty much expressing that he get home immediately and get me to the *$(&ing hospital or this baby is gonna be delivered at home. We called our dr's office and told them my contractions were 3 1/2 min apart and they wanted us to come in first before going to labor and delivery because my dr was out of town, which I thought was insane, but luckily the office was on the 2nd floor of the hospital and labor and delivery was on the 3rd floor.  The car ride to the hospital felt like forever and I started making Paul count very slowly when I was having a contraction so I had something to focus on.  Finally we arrived at Boulder Foothills Hospital and at this point my contractions were insane.  We got off the elevator on the second floor and I had a contraction so painful it brought me to my hands and knees.  The staff ran and got me a wheelchair, took me back to the dr office, and had me get ready to have the doctor check my cervix.  Well when the Dr. walked in I was on my hands and knees on the bed with my bare butt in the air and this is how I met my delivery doctor for the first time.  I told her if she didn't hurry I was gonna have this baby in her office so she checked me and confirmed what I already knew, I was 5 cm dilated 90% effaced and at a station 0. They whisked me upstairs and just in that time I had 3 different contractions so bad I had to scream for Paul to stop pushing the wheelchair and get out onto my hands and knees then get back in the wheelchair when the contraction was over.

In the short time I went from floor 2 to floor 3 I am convinced I entered transition (the dilation of 7 to 10 cm) as I was acting nuts and not myself.  I was begging the nurse for an epidural and she said the anesthesiologist had 2 patients before me so I had to wait and anyways she had to get an IV line started and get me on fluids. She was twiddling her thumbs and taking her sweet time and I was so desperate for pain relief that I said very loudly to Paul "how do I fire her? I want a new nurse."  Needless to say that nurse never came back in my room and I had a new nurse in seconds who had an IV in my arm immediately.  All I remember is that I had to stand on my feet and bend over during the contractions and had to make Paul count nice and slow.  Before the pain was diminishing by around 18 slow seconds (probably around 30 seconds) and now the pain wasn't easing up until about 50 seconds (about a minute and a little bit) and I was really struggling with not losing my mind. When I stood up for another contraction my water had broke all over the bed. The nurse asked to check my cervix before the anesthesiologist came to give me the epidural and I shouted "no one is going near my vagina until I get some drugs" (I told you I had lost my mind). Pretty soon I was on my hands and knees on the bed yelling that I had to push and I started trying to push my baby out.  My labor was going so fast.  Soon my savior arrived and made me sit for about 15 min while he gave me the epidural.  Paul said I had the craziest eyes he had ever seen since I couldn't stand up for my contractions, I had to remain seated.  Once it was administered (and by the way it didn't hurt a bit) I started to feel relief fairly quickly.  The anesthesiologist did such a good job that I didn't loose function of my legs and could still feel my contractions enough to push, it just dulled some of the pain.  The nurse checked my cervix right after the epidural and I was 9 1/2 cm.  I went from 5 cm in the DR office to 9 1/2 cm in under 40 min.  That progression usually takes first time moms hours to do.

After I was experiencing some relief and a moment to breath, I had Paul put in Harry Potter 4 so I could watch it and relax (funny I know but I napped to a Harry Potter movie like everyday of my pregnancy so this was soothing to me), the nurse had me lay on my side to help finish the dilation process.  I could still feel immense pressure and was very uncomfortable and kept asking when I could push.  About an hour later the dr came in, Dr. Laura Cieslik (by the way did I mention that I love her) and told me I was now dilated and ready to push. I loved how the lights stayed dim expect for one spotlight and the only people around were my Dr., my nurse, my doula and my amazing Paul.  It was very private and peaceful and I remember looking outside and noticed it had started snowing.

 I started pushing and the Violette's heart rate kept dropping.  The Dr. put me on oxygen to help and told me that there may be a chance we would need to vacuum her out and need an episiotomy.  I wanted whatever would keep her safe, but was now very motivated to get her out.  The Dr. kept trying different positions to help keep her heart rate up (I tried right side, hands and knees, and left side) and eventually having me push while laying on my left side did the trick.  The dr asked what my baby's name was and I told her Violette and she kept talking to her saying "now Violette we need you to keep your heart rate up" and every time she called her by name the heart rate bounced back up. It was really cool.  I pushed for a total of 45 min and out she came purple as can be with the umbilical chord wrapped around her neck twice.  We didn't need to use the vacuum or perform an episiotomy (thank goodness). I watched as the Dr unwound it and the nurses whisked her away right beside me to suction her and get her breathing.  She wasn't crying and I was terrified everything was okay. I remember crying and asking Paul if she was okay.  Paul was by Violette's side and reassured me that she was breathing and her heart rate was back to normal.  So I guess miss Violette wanted to be named Violet after all since she came out the color of her name.

I just remember while they were cleaning me up looking outside and seeing a beautiful snowy day and kept smiling that my little girl was delivered safely on a gorgeous snowy January afternoon at 1:36 pm weighing 7 lbs 6 oz and 20 " long.

I was able to walk fairly quickly after the delivery (great job anesthesiologist) and was transferred to post pardum recovery.  Our room had a queen sized bed for Paul and I to share and views of the flatiron mountains to kill for. Prime Boulder real estate :)  The nursing staff at Boulder Foothills hospital was amazing and I would highly recommend every woman to deliver here.  I had a fabulous experience (aside from the 40 minutes I wanted to kill everyone).

We are in love with our new addition. Welcome to the Stone clan Miss Vi.



Tiffany said...

What a crazy labor story!! I LOVE that you fired your nurse! Way to go! When you are going through all that pain, everyone better be focused on helping you get some relief! Congratulations on your beautiful, sweet little girl!

Katelyn & Wade said...

I LOVED reading this!! "No one is going to touch my vagina"?!! LOL, that is amazing. Could you even believe how painful the contractions were? One of those things I don't think anyone could explain unless you went through it.

You are a warrior Le, what a beauty!